Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Agra-vated



Holy Cow.
I've never felt soo not into a place in my ENTIRE life. I get that Agra is the home of the Taj Mahal and a product of all the tourists, blah blah blah. But I want out. In fact Julia and I tried EXTREMELY hard to get out yesterday(a day early) to no avail. For the first time ever I bought my train ticket right when I arrived, thinking two days in Agra would suffice. A friend from Seattle, Anna lives nearby in Lucknow and we planned to visit her after Agra. We'll get to crash at her pad and get the in on what it's like living in India. Good plan eh? Unfortunately two days equals three nights and three days when your train leaves at 1130 pm. And by noon yesterday we'd already exhausted our patience, seen the Taj Mahal and eaten tons of Tibetan bread. We'd been stalked by rickshaw drivers, followed by randoms, stared at like there's no tomorrow, my shop! my shop! yes! FUCK OFF DUDE! Julia and I were seriously running out of patience with this place and just itching to go. To get out!Our train didn't leave for another entire day. So we buzzed over to the train station hoping to get the ticket changed to Tuesday night instead of Wednesday night. And the ASShole at the counter brushed me off and just said it was all good. So we packed our bags and waited and waited until 1130 rolled around. We were ON the train. Granted we didn't have seats, and I KNEW our ticket was for the wrong day, and tried all my bullshitting and begging and PLEADING skills to get us a seat on that train. WE'll pay more! We'll sit anywhere! just please let us get the fuck out of this god forsaken town! No. train is completely full. And finally we just sat by the bathrooms near 2nd class a.c. and the train was practically moving when some douchebag mustachioed Indian railway rent a cop busted us and kicked us off the train. And there we sat. On a bench in the Agra train station, as our train rolled away without us. No Lucknow for us. At least not yesterday night. Defeated, we slumped out of the station, hopped regretfully into a rickshaw and went back to Taj Ganj aka hell. Our guesthouse was closed but luckily the Internet was open and I called Anna and told her that we would not be in Lucknow in the morning, because our Luck, Now, is out? haha. I just came up with that right now. Luck. Now.? Anyone? Beuler?
I almost cried but just didn't. So we missed the train. We'll go today, and that is the last we'll ever have to see of Agra. In the span of things this shit storm is not even close to the worst thing that has happened to me lately, and I just have to think of it as a fact of life. Julia and I were meant to spend another day in Agra.
So after a great long night's sleep. We woke and decided we're not leaving the guesthouse. We just will hang out all day and nap and read and eat some food, and not be bothered by Agra. We are stuck here. Let's make it a resting day. And it has actually been great. Some pineapple juice and iced tea and toast with strawberry jam and fruit salad for breakfast. Watched a really good movie and the nice 16 year old Indian restaurant manager was kind enough to keep us up to date on what was happening in the film. Which was kinda like Memento and Kill Bill and Bollywood's love child movie. And then had a nice little nap. The some curry and chapatti and a cola. Julia and I even got cooling head massages by the kid who works there, and Julia got her shit rocked by what looked like a semi painful shoulder massage, but I think it'll probably straighten her right out. So we have just been hanging out, talking to the boys and hearing about Bollywood stars and where they filmed scenes for Slumdog Millionaire around here, and how the scenes that they were in got cut, etc. And now, in the cool a.c. I realize that its all good. And I'm eagerly anticipating seeing a friendly face at the train station tomorrow morning, and moving on to a new place in India.

No comments: