Sunday, September 6, 2009

My bed in a bookshop

Something about being with Hanna and Amanda makes crazy things happen and time whir past at astronomical rates. We can traipse all over cities and towns and piles of dirt and have as much fun as most people have at disneyland. So we all finally made it to a tattoo shop in Athens and got inked. A fig, a ladybug, and an olive branch. Then we rode the metro like it was goin outa style, bounded onto a ship and woke up in Santorini.
When we all walked down into Atlantis books we literally couldn't keep it together. And I'm pretty sure we all did a group hug victory dance spin around in the back room when James wasn't looking. This place is the most incredible bookshop I have seen in my entire life.
Down the stairs and into the books and crevices there is a certain sanity and beautiful escape from tourist crazy streets. For the next five days I find myself living, cooking, and helping out in the bookshop. And did I mention sleeping on a pimped out bookshelf in a little hideout. Not as cool as MADA's bed which is literally behind a wall of books, but amazing, show stopping sleep.
The website has the full story so check it: www.atlantisbooks.org

Funny thing is that when I was in Oia last I almost went into this place but was too tired or some bullshit. But it just seems fitting, that I would save it for now. For my last week to be karmically blessed enough to end up here, now. James is running the shop, tired of staring down fourth graders in New Orleans.(For the time being at least) A friend of his is one of the founders and invited him down. Also Rich and Tony arrived the same day as us- a coupla british guys that would have you saying Hail to the Queen in no time. Blimey, sweet cheeks, luv. Regularly used and awesome every single time. Want a cupa? um yes please. And they both make the most delicious food you've ever eaten. And are genuinely awesome individuals. And although six people living in the bookshop makes things a little crowded, we try to find a balance. Everyone gets free time whenever they can grab it.

We have family dinners on the terrace nearly every night; greek salad,MEXICAN food, homemade veg curry, boatloads of delicious pasta, even more boatloads of wine.
When we can borrow a guitar James plays and sings and it is sickeningly beautiful. Amanda busts out her Joplin voice and Hanna sings like shes never sung before. Or whatever. But its amazing. And I am so happy. And I don't want to go home.
And I know I have to, I've reached the end of this traveling rope and I need to go home and earn me some threadz to spin another. But it still blows.

One night we traipse down to the sea and swim under the harvest moon with the island covered in fog. Amanda drunkenly falls off a buoy buck naked. Someone stubs their toe. We gettin crazy down there. During the day sometimes I can take long walks down crazy hot roads and steps and cliffs and stare at the sea. This blueness that knows me so well. I throw rocks and hit other rocks till my arms hurt. I think till my brain hurts. I love being in this place and being with these people. And ending here, on this note is a beautiful thing. But sometimes I think the gods are up there mocking me and putting awesome stuff in my lap then jerking it away when I want to grab and enjoy a while longer.
Everything has its time eh. Well my bookshop time, its golden.

No comments: