Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pish/Posh



After projectile vomiting four times on my last day in Dharmsala I was off. On a speeding out of control bus down the snake-like roads circling the Himalayan mountains. I Vipassana-ed for the first two hours on not puking. MMM this is an interesting sensation. Let's see how long it lasts. Don't puke. Don't puke. You don't even have anything to puke IN. Eventually the sensation passed. Oh Anicca. And I inflated my trusty neck pillow, rocked some earplugs and woke up in Delhi.
OOOH Delhi. In the span of three weeks since I'd left Delhi had become hotter, stinkier, and lost all of its earlier exotic charm. I hopped a rickshaw and told it to take me to Jen's Hotel. It was pretty early. Like 8am. So I left my bag at her spot. The swanky Vikram Hotel. The concierge were nice enough to direct me to a hospital within walking distance. So I headed over there for my FOURTH visit to a doctor since being in India. That's more than like the last 10 years combined. Again I was given no actual diagnosis, but a prescription and felt better within a few days. I happened to have some extra Cipro so as a precaution decided to just take it all because last time the five day antibiotics didn't really cut it. And it has been over a week now and no diarrhea! Awesome.
So I hung out in the lobby and just awaited Jen- who came rollin into the hotel with her work travel posse a little later on. She smuggled me up to her hotel room and the next two days were spent oozing every drop of luxury out of that place. I slept in a cushy, soft, CLEAN bed, in AIR conditioning. I watched bollywood movies on dvd- including an awesome one called Maan, which is a bollywood version of An Affair to Remember. Rent it. Its glorious. But put aside a good chunk o time cause its like three hours long. I took a BATH, we ordered room service, we spent hours sitting in the restaurant downstairs eating breakfast and talking about our travels and everything that has happened since we last saw each other.
We wandered around Lodi Gardens, drank mango shakes on the street, battled the Rishshaw Mafia, wandered the streets searching for some needy person to give our leftovers to, ate NACHOS, went to the movies (and ate caramel popcorn and coke with ICE), shopped like mad women for earrings, rode the metro just for the a.c.(literally, to the end of the line and back). We watched LOADS of movies in our a.c. hotel room and ate pizza and snickers. We sat on the rooftop after the rain and watched the Pigeon Cowboys at work. We slipped and slided around in post rain Pajar Ganj pish filled streets. Pish is a term Jen uses, I think its a combo of Piss and Shit? Well this Pish is all over the streets in India, and in abundance in Delhi and after the rain one day I almost face planted in this disgusting stuff in an attempt to go to the post office. Where the guy working there totally did a NON-Accidental boob graze. Sick-o. So those of you getting post cards better be damn thankful.
We also had some really silly/hilarious moments."Noooooonnnnnooooooooo I don't want a rickshaaaaawwwwwwww" Or perhaps me getting SO into eating pringes that i didn't notice my bracelet got stuck in the can. And until Jen couldn't fit her hand in did I notice the lack of bracelet. Or Jen totally hitting a sign head on (literally right in the face) while heading to the train station. All in all we both hated Delhi and I for sure am sooo not needing any more time there. But it was so nice to hang out with Jen that honestly neither of us cared if we were traipsing around ancient Tombs and gardens, or laying in bed watching t.v. The time flew by and the next thing you know I'm off to catch a train and she's off to South Africa. But we will meet again. I'm already planning my South African World Cup Adventure for next year. So a shout out to my PTT/Seattle/Traveling hommie Jen- Love you Girl- See you soon!

No comments: