Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oh Oh Athena

Oooh I am so not in Sweden anymore. I arrive in Greece. Its 35 degrees c here. Ten degrees hotter than the hottest it gets in Sweden. Theres smoking and craziness and women bigger than a size zero at every turn. The airport bus careens out of control on the way into Athens. The first guy I met got his wallet stolen right as he got out of the airport. I find my hostel, which is in a hmmm, interesting area filled with um, i'm pretty sure hookers, and African guys selling fake Louis Vuitton bags and garbage and groups of police standing around doing nothing. Oh the real world. I love it. The first meal I had was a delicious greek salad, a cold beer and some chips aka fries. The olive oil saturated the fresh tomatoes and the feta tasted so fresh I could cry. And I had another greek salad for lunch again today. I have a feeling greek salads are going to be like empanadas hmmm. At least its vegetables and not fried cheese pastries riight... The fashion here is none other than hilarious also. Phat assses jammed into tight jeans and spilling over the sides like pot pies. Big curly hair and long fake red nails. Mismatched patterns and NO white shirts with black stripes! Tacky purses and cluttery crazy jewelry. Boobies on display. Gold, Silver, Sequined and Rainbow colored strappy sandals. I wandered around Athens today in the heat smiling at the chaos of honking horns and traffic jams and angry cab drivers. There are ancient ruins in between shopping malls, huge marble towers overturned in the middle of the park and theres a kind of faded glory to the whole place. Athens might not be the calmest cleanest city ever, but for some reason this makes me even happier. Ive missed the mess and the sticky part of traveling. Sweating and getting lost and not being able to read the crazy greek writing. I got free breakfast at my hostel even. I mean it was toast and tang but it was free. And so what if I ate it and then went back to bed for another two hours. What do I have to prove anyways. I cant get the question mark or the apostraphe so it might be weird reading this. Lo siento. And tomorrow I will see my Mamma, Kettle, Marianne and Laurel! Let the debauchery begin and welcome to Greece! Oh and I had some Ouzo last night. Welcome drink at the hostel. EwZo is more like it. I like fennel and everything but not in a shotglass.

No comments: