Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lisberg..... wait a minute Liz Berg...?

Göteborg is sometimes pronounced Gothanberg. Which just reminds me of Batman. A big, bustling, young person filled city with cobblestone streets and waterways flowing through the center and cafe after cafe jam packed with people just enjoying life. It's a tram city as well, kinda like Melbourne or San Francisco, except you never wait EVER and things run hella smoothly. Even if you say, now this is just an example, take the tram for thirty minutes in the wrong direction to BFE, you just hop off and grab the next one and easily arrive at your destination. For the first time I'm at a hostel in Sweden that really feels like a hostel as well. Well it feels like Mercer East so yeah it must be a hostel. Its still comfy and cozy if not the cleanest but oh well. And I made fetuccini and tea and sat around watching crappy tv and chatting with swiss, canadian and english travelers. I decided Göteborg would be the place I finally went to museums. So I became the shameless tourist that we all hide deep in our hearts. I bought a 'Göteborg Pass' and went to museum after museum for two days straight. Exhausting, but awesome. I also traveled unlimited on all the trams around the city and took an even more shameless boat tour around the city's canals.

I went to the Lisberg amusement park; Sweden's biggest amusement park fully loaded with candy and rides and delighted screams filtering down from every roller coaster. I wasn't really intent on being that weird foreign chick who goes on rides alone so I just bought a strawberry ice cream and wandered around staring at all the hilariousness. Wooden roller coasters and tilt a whirls and carosels with the swinging chairs and even some live music by local youngins which was totally cute. Until I look over and two MIMES ON STILTS are totally shakin it? What!It was extremely creepy. Mouths caked with dried ice cream and handfulls of cotton candy being shoveled in by every kid. Enormous toblerone and other swedish candy bars as big as a child being won by carnival style games. And of course the punk rock kids who try to look all tough but who are exhilirated and totally loving this crazy fun land. Reminded me of This American Life where they did a piece on the one day a year when all the goth kids in SoCal descend upon Disneyland. Totally legit I say. I also went to the Universeum which was probably awesome but I was just too exhausted to care about any of it. And the Museum of Cultural History where there was a badass exhibit on Indian girls who box, and a massive bollywood exhibit which made me miss India more than anything and I acutally felt a little like crying. But good museum. I also tackled the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design, The Museum of Art, The Natural History Museum and then I was spent. And went jogging in the cool evening air only to get eh, about a dozen mosquito bites. So now I am looking pretty awesome I must say, one arm covered in hideous scars, the other in mosquito bites, a sunburned nose and a horrible Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dumber hairstyle. America's Next Top Model, please look no further.

No comments: