Friday, February 27, 2009

Chiang Mai Revisited




Well I've been spending the last few days chilling out in Chiang Mai. Recuperating from farming, aka eating whatever I want and hardly doing any physical activity (besides getting cheap massages every day). And I came to notice something. In all the countries I've been to, there is always one town I happen to accidentally get stuck in for longer than anticipated. And it's all because of the farming. You have to go there before to get near to the farm, and you have to go back there after the farm to go anywhere else. In Argentina it was Mendoza, in Australia it was Melbourne, and in Thailand it's Chiang Mai. Notice anything? All M's. Anyways I thought it was weird. And in all these places I spent a lot of time on my own, just wandering around. And unlike the other places I visit where there are things to see and sights to visit, by the third trip you've usually covered all the bases. So I've been getting more of an extended look, a feel of what it would be like to live here. I find my favorite restaurant, I got there a lot and I have my areas where I like to hang out. In Mendoza it was the Green Apple Vegetarian restaurant with the best flan and veggie buffet, and I went to the massive park a lot to go jogging and explore and read. In Melbourne there were many fave food spots; lord of the fries might win out, or the 5$ Indian buffet place. And I would always find myself around Federation Square and frequenting all the art museums or wandering through the many parks and of course the Queen Victoria Market. And in Chiang Mai, it is most definitely DA bakery. Where i go every single morning for the bad-ass breakfast, and these delicious wheat rolls that are fresh from the oven, fresh squeezed tangerine juice and the best home fries I've had since Silence Heart Nest in Seattle. And I wander through all the food markets and clothing markets and up and around the giant moat that encircles the city. And I've read like three books and I just keep trading them at all the used book stores around town. The down time is good and gives me time to reflect on life and prepare for going to India.

No comments: